Welcome to WAM Kenya, providing all women to have a voice in the direction of microfinance in Kenya.
About WAM Kenya
On January 26, 2005, WAM Kenya was officially launched in Nairobi with over 34 professionals in attendance.
The mission of WAM Kenya is to advance the microfinance industry by supporting women in the industry in their professional development, promoting leadership opportunities, and increasing visibility of their participation and talent while maintaining a work/life balance. WAM Kenya has a vision to enable all women to have a voice in the direction of microfinance in Kenya.
The goal of WAM Kenya is to enable all women to have a voice in the direction of microfinance in Kenya.
Some of the key objectives of WAM Kenya include:
- Informing and inspiring women in the microfinance sector in ways that enable them to develop professionally and personally
- Providing an effective network forum that leads to more effective collaboration
- Giving women a voice in microfinance through a written newsletter with feature columns that solicit opinions and provide a channel to discuss issues relevant to the sector, while highlighting talent and success
- Offering opportunities to establish a better work/life balance through social activities, sports and mini-retreats or overnight excursions
WAM Kenya Membership
Members of WAM Kenya are selected by application. The process includes an application form plus a nominating letter from an existing member. Applications will be forwarded to the Membership Committee of the Steering Committee for approval. There are two membership levels:
MEMBERS: Members should have at least three years of professional experience or time spent pursuing an advanced degree related to microfinance, and includes at least two years of professional experience in the financial services industry.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERS: Associate membership will be offered to individuals who want to support the WAM Kenya mission and have demonstrated a strong interest in microfinance, but do not yet meet all requirements to become a member (such as young microfinance professionals or individuals new to the microfinance field but with experience in a related field).
WAM Kenya membership terms are one year with the need to renew annually. Annual dues are:
- 3,000 Kshs. for Members
- 1,000 Kshs. for Associate Members
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS include a number of opportunities, such as:
- Showcase of talents
- Career support and networking
- Governance and board training
- Mentoring and leadership development
- Influence within industry for more family-friendly/female friendly policies
- Promotion of critical issues in microfinance
- Forum for information exchange
- Policy dialogue
- Speaker series
- Sharing publications, and
- Other benefits as determined by the membership